Tuesday 18 October 2016

The Fear Of Death

When Ifatedo was returning from a late night outing, he was stopped by some police men for what they claim was a routine stop and search. But before being asked, Ifatedo quiclly produced his driver’s license and vehicle documents, and added, “Officer, they are complete and up to date. Please check.” One of the police men retorted, “Do you want to teach us our job?” And another police man asked, “By the way, where are you coming from at this late hour?” Then Ifatedo responded, “I am coming from the cemetery, after a funeral and burial.” And the police men chorused, “Funeral and burial after midnight? Who died? What killed him? And is he your friend or relation?”
 
And taking his time to explain, Ifatedo said, “Actually, he is one police man. He is not my friend or relation. And I don’t even know him. It was reported that as soon as he had collected a bribe from one motorist, his hand started to swell right up to his neck. And he died within seven hours.” Puzzled, the police asked, “And what is your concern? What is your business with the burial?” Then Ifatedo concluded, “I was called to remove the money from the dead man’s hand, because I am the one that prepared the charm. Look, I am tired. Let me find you something and let me go.” The police men as if on cue, immediately chorused, “Oga, please go! Police is your friend!”

No comments:

Post a Comment