Monday 15 February 2016

The Unsentimental Valentine Cards

As early as 5 AM yesterday, I received one of those beautiful, flower-studded and amorously worded Valentine Cards from a lady, via my WhatsApp. “How nice,” I thought. And I asked her, “Am I, your Valentine?” And she promptly replied, “Not on your life!” And I asked, “Then why on earth did you send out such sentimental message, without sentiments?” And she responded, “Don’t blame me! Blame the marketing strategists who have designed the system, to make the gullible dole out presents in every manner or form.”

And that reminded me of the time when my two friends and I, went shopping in my neighbourhood shop in Kissimmee, Florida. At the sight of some beautifully designed and greatly worded cards, we went, “Ga Ga, grabbing as much as fifteen different cards each, with childish grins on our faces.” Back in Nigeria, when my friends had finished giving out their cards, I was yet to give out a single one. Before you ask, “Why not,” I will tell you. Every time I wished to give out one of the cards and after re-reading the wordings, a Rotarian voice in me would ask, “Is it the truth?” I guess you are going to say, “But you aren’t a Rotarian.” For your information, I have some Rotarian Chip implants in my brain, which I will strongly recommend for our administrators.

No comments:

Post a Comment