Thursday 25 February 2016

Have We Lost It?

Yesterday, a brother asked, "Charles, why don't you rebroadcast, your piece on, "Have We Lost It?" Though I countered, "Why don't you also share it?" I agreed with him. So, here we are; the more the merrier.

Have We Lost It?

Remember those old days? Yes, I mean the good old days, which I would love to bring back, if I had a time machine, or that elusive magic wand. Those were the days, when parents didn’t just teach/tell, but warned their children never to receive or beg from anyone outside their homes; least of all, from strangers. And that was even before the advent of modern religions, which have done us more harm than good. The days when though, our forefathers/foremothers could neither read nor write in any language, were honest, compassionate and morally upright.

Now that we claim to have arrived, and claiming to know the history of other nations more than their own nationals, we have become chronic beggars, among other vices. Our children, students, single, married and unmarried parents, now beg with impunity. They even beg from everyone, including the strangers they can see and those they can’t see. They don’t only claim to have the right to beg bet they even deny those they beg from, the right to refuse. What arrogance? And they justify their unholy behaviours with, “This is Naija.” As if those vices, have been enshrined in our constitution. They beg and receive from, armed robbers, drug pushers, ritual-killers and treasury looters; without an atom of shame.

While they believe that their charms have power over everyone, those who are able to resist, are called names, like stingy and tight-fisted. And I keep asking, “Where are the parents?” Of course the parents are there, but not parenting. The other day, a student was requesting for a new phone, from one of her Aristos. Did I say, requesting? It was more like demanding. When asked what she would do with her old phone, she replied, “I shall give it to my father.” And when further asked, what she would say, if her father wishes to know, how she could afford a new phone? She said, “I would say, God provides.”
And I said under my breath, “That father may be very daft, or he may have been aiding and abetting that and other vices, inclusive.” Each time I want to ask whether the beggars believe, they are believed by the begged, or the begged believe they shall receive value for their money, I pinch and remind myself with, “Why not, if not? Especially with all the diabolical charms, they have acquired. And haven’t we been thoroughly brain-washed to believe, whatever we are told? Can we be more gullible?” Where did we go wrong? Have we really lost our self-esteem? Are we beyond redemption? These and many other questions, are begging for answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment