Monday 28 December 2015

The Single Mother Syndrome

During one of the Christmas parties, my ever caring widowed-mother who was spending the Christmas/New Year holidays with me returned to our table with a mixture of a frown and a mischievous smile on her face. As soon as she sat down, she turned to me and said, “Son, we have to talk. Things are getting out of hand. At this rate your father, bless his soul, will be turning in his grave.” And wondering what has suddenly come over my cheerful mother, I put a hand on her shoulder and said, “Mum, talk we shall, but can it wait till we get home?” She smiled and said, “Sure darling, it can wait; but be prepared. It may take all night.”

That night, I was prepared for a lecture of my life. So, immediately after dinner she said, “Son, I have seen that most of your mates have settled down with one woman each. What is the matter with you? Don’t get me wrong. I love grandchildren, but I am not happy with the way and manner that you are producing them. Why should my son be one of those responsible for the ever-increasing number of single mothers? Why can’t you be like your father?”

And determined to inject some humour into our talk, I replied, “Mum, why should I get married and make one woman unhappy, when I can remain single and make many women happy?” But before she could flare up, I added, “On a serious note mum, most of the women out there aren’t prepared for the long haul. They are more interested in anyone who can take care of them here and now, but fail to be categorical on what it would take to take care of them. They fail to appreciate the fact that many men who can ill-afford it, but can manage it in the short term would promise, just to get into their pants.” As the night wore on, coupled with effects of the party, I virtually had to beg my mother for adjournment, not without a pledge to continue the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment